samedi 18 août 2007

Ontario: Bruce Peninsula and Red Rock












Ontario....Earth paradise of ''butcheries by the roads'' ! Menues essentially based with porkupines and racoons...also add with others nutritious elements such as Tim Hortons, Robin Donuts, Chunny Chesters....! I am very happy to carry in the subaru my pantry! New friends that I met on my way too!












How we can recongnize that we crossed the ''boarder'' between Ontario and Quebec?! They have very very looooong drive way and their house are surrounded by big trees. I guess they don't have so much quantity of snow as we have in Quebec. About trees, one time a historical teacher told me that the French we're so affraid to get attack by anybody (Indians and English)that they started to cut trees around their houses. We kept instinctly this way to do I guess!












Ontario, most populated province, is a very long province composed by 4 of the 5 big Lakes. ( no Michigan Lake). That's why is so long to cross! Those Great Lakes has tides, but created by the wind instead the moon. So huhes, that you have this impression to sit by the ocean!












I drove until Lake Huron to reach Georgian Bay. It's magnificient! Blue aqua tempered water! I stoppped by the very nice Bruce Peninsula National Park to hikked and swam and play as sea otter. There are a dozen of snakes....brrrrrrr....one name Massassauga Rattle snake and is in danger species. Good for me, I didn't see any of them. I can't support to see worms, so...!












Cliffs are 30m high, but the lake is 179m of deep! Clear clear clear water! I tried to reach the bottom when I tought I could do it, but forget it: the evaluation of the distance that I need to swim under the water were always cheated by the clear water! There, I met Karin from Philadelphia and we did a good team togheter. She ''hosted'' me to her ''cottage'' (campsite to bruce are very big and well set!), she was my guess to my ''subaru restaurant''! Good treats! With her, I started my ''ritual'' clothes! Bah, I am traveling by car, alone. So instead to give my ''wrags clothes'' to the poor, I said to myself, let's wear it a last time and let's then burn it! Pure pleasure!












Then I headed on northern Ontario part. I drove all day until I stopped to Nippigon. Located by the biggest unsalt water in our world: Superior Lake. I would like to mention this: Superior Lake is shared with United States and they can't stop to harass Canadian government to pump the Lake to ''feed'' the Middle West....We didn't take any position for now, but since 5 years , people who live by the Lake Superior are affraid to see how much level lost per year...Last week, they just found a mysterious ''hole''....They already started to investigate about this no time to evaluate, just do it now, 'cause the Lake lose...9billions ( 9 000 000) of liters of water PER DAY!!!!












Nippigon: Less than 5000 people live there. The only economy was wood. One industry burnt last year, didn't rebuild it and the other to Red Rock closed last February. So they have up to 70% of unemployment and people who wish to work go to north Alberta. While I was looking to find a quiet place in Nippigon, something unusual happen: The police were looking for a stranger strange man...very looking at him for I've no reason but they even search him by helicopter. I was looking for the marina and , I didn't know , but I had a talk with him. He was so weird by his attitude that I said to myself: okay, let's have a dinner camp by the marina to enjoy the Lake, but for sure I am ''game over'' to spend a confortable night over here, forget it!












So, I stopped a car behind me....and it was a very sympathic man , cousin of Santa Claus, who invited me to spend nights to Red Rock! Cool! I had a great time with Chester and his wife, Rita. They are really involved into their community and I learnt a lot with them. I hikked and enjoy their quiet village. I would like to mentionned that Red Rock ''jailed'' Nazi Officier in 1942 until the end of WWII. Canadian are good: our people had to eat bologna and hot dogs during this hard time and we served to them rosbeef and others good treats...! At the end of the war, some of them asked to stay in the country and some cameback later to stay. I heard the same story for those who were in ''jail'' ( they stayed in house and could walk out of it!) in Quebec to Rouyn-Noranda area.