lundi 20 août 2007

Friendly Manitoba , Part Two







Lessons of the day:



1- Bisons, also known as buffalo, are the biggest mammals in North America (900Kg!) and the leader of the group is always a female one who might ,most of time, not have a baby. It's making the law for everything and no male are against its! Before we, the white, came overhere, they estimated their population around 60Millions of bisons running through the Prairies. Late 1870, the governement recented less than ...500. Extensive hunting most of all. Indians used it as their main ressource for everything, colonialists shooted them as you kill bugs around you because they were annoying them by eating their harvest, the CP rail hired hunter who came from Montreal just to killed them...yeap...I read from a report at that time, it was quite usual to see somebody to shoot 200 buffalos per day from his wagon...should I say we were looking to extinguish also the Natives, should I? Anyway...Today no more wild bisons. Just few reserves where they feed them and also farmers has them as any meat cows. Look further ( Battleford picture Saskatchewan) the chair made with ''cornes'' from bisons for the North West Mounted Police. 17 per chair! A shame! They did also furniture to hang up the clothes with them. About the ''corne'', to see if it's from an old bison, the angle is less than 90degree.




2- I don't know if you have ever heard about Grey Owl...Archie Belany was an englishman who changed his named after he came to Canada (around 1904). His given name by Ojibways people . He adopted and trained 2 beavers(!), Rawhide and Jellyroll, to bring back beavers family colonies to one of their homeland: Mount Riding N.P. Sounds a little bit too Wall Disney, but it was! Also, I would like to mention that a beaver can create a water dam 30meters high...!



ok! So, Manitoban people belong properly to their licence driving plate slogan. Of course they are friendly! I decided, before to reach Saskatchewan, to enjoy one more time one of these 20 biggest lakes our Mother Nature created : Winnipeg Lake. Another huuuuuuge one where you think you might sitting by the South Sea if you don't pay too much attention at the trees! Incredible! 100% White sand, also black magnet(!) sand.



I drive by ''feeling'' and all this bring me always to people with good and positive attitude. That's how I met the Huot-Finlayson Family and their sympatic facing neighbor! The first one invited me to share a meal and I enjoyed a really nice stay at their cottage by the lake. Sitting and walking by the beach , making sandcastle and swimming were my only tasks! Oh! What a therapeutic journey trip accross the country I am having!



Despite it's a big lake, it's not deep (less 30m) and the south wind give once a while hardtime to people going too far away on it. bah....insteads, I cracked one by one my toes into the sand!



Manitoba has a small French community , metis ( mix French people and Amerindian) and Native People. I had , by surprise, to get in touch with one of these who didn't speak any english or french! Funny!



Black bear coming at night(twice) ''housekeeping'' garbages, but I sleep as a log, so I don't hear a thing...even if I sleep in the subaru right by the ...garbage! Oups! Whenever the house get in fire, please take me along! I don't wan't to grill!